The original author of this blog passed away in July of 2016. 3 The Rite of Baptism during Mass for One Child Introductory Rites Priest: In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Keep far from these servants of God, for Jesus Christ, our Lord and God, has freely called them to His holy grace and blessed way and to the waters of baptism. On the mouth: I sign you on the mouth that you may proclaim the word of life. * Why do you sigh within me? [10] For thus will they be made ready for the grace of your baptism and ever remain steadfast, never losing hope, never faltering in duty, never straying from sacred truth, but ready at all times to receive your grace; through Christ our Lord. {The previous act of blowing (exsufflation) was a sign of removing something, or, figuratively, driving out the evil spirit. Then he adds this prayer (using the singular forms when required): God of our fathers, God, source of all truth, we humbly ask you to be well disposed to your servants, N. and N. After this first[3] taste of salt, let their hunger for heavenly nourishment not be prolonged but soon be satisfied. On entering God’s Church acknowledge with joy that you have escaped the clutches of death.}. 9a. Christ, have mercy. On the nostrils: I sign you on the nostrils that you may sense the sweet fragrance of Christ. 17. 58. Obey God’s commandments, so that when our Lord comes for the joyous wedding feast you may go forth to meet Him with all the saints in the halls of heaven, and be happy with Him forevermore. The priest blesses salt with this exorcism: God’s creature, salt, I cast out the demon from you, in the name of God the Father almighty, in the love of our Lord Jesus Christ, and in the strength of the Holy Spirit. 8a. Priest: What do you ask of God’s Church for NAME(S) of CHILD? D. 7. Then the priest holds his hand outstretched over them and says the following (using the singular forms when required): I cast you out, unclean spirit, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Therefore, accursed one, deservedly doomed, pay homage to the living and true God, pay homage to Jesus Christ, His Son, and to the Holy Spirit, the Advocate. The priest, vested in surplice and purple stole or even a cope of the same color, comes to the altar steps with his assistants. All: What is man that you should be mindful of him, * or the son of man that you should care for him? Thus, as children of the promise, may they delight in having become by grace what they could not have aspired to by nature; through Christ our Lord. It is a gradual process of initiation in the Catholic Faith through prayer, study, discussion, and ritual for: Unbaptized adults who wish to explore the Catholic Faith and to possibly prepare for the initiation sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation, and Eucharist. We beg you, O Lord, grant that our chosen one (ones), well instructed in the holy mysteries, may be born again in the font of baptism and be added to the household of your Church; through Christ our Lord. P: My tears are my food day and night, * as they say to me day after day, “Where is your God?”. Afterward he puts these questions to them: P: Do you believe in God the Father almighty, Creator of heaven and earth? Be pleased to enlighten them by the light of your eternal wisdom. If possible, baptism should take place on Sunday, the day on which the Church celebrates the paschal mystery. 46. {But if the number of catechumens is large, they remain in their place and sign themselves with the thumb on the brow and heart, at the same time that the priest makes the twofold sign of the cross over them, saying: Receive the sign of the cross on your brow and on your heart. Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults ⛪️. Christian Initiation of Adults. I purify you by the living God, the true God, the holy God, by God who created you to be a preservative for mankind, and ordered you to be sanctified by His ministers for the benefit of the people who are about to embrace the faith. It outlines the steps for the formation of catechumens (unbaptized), bringing their conversion to the faith to a greater maturity. May it be for you likewise a token that foreshadows everlasting life. For adults today, the Church, after the Second Vatican Council, has restored the order of the Catechumenate in the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults. Catholic Australia is Australia’s leading repository of information about the Church in Australia. 41. All: Hope in God! Now the sponsors give the white robe to their respective godchild as the priest says: Take this white robe and keep it spotless until you arrive at the judgment seat of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you may be rewarded with everlasting life. is the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults. 48a); and in this case the following alternate ceremony should be substituted: The priest blesses each of the baptized (or all in one action) with the sign of the cross, saying: The almighty God, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, has caused you to be born over again of water and the Holy Spirit and pardoned you all your sins. The priest, vested in surplice and purple stole or even a cope of the same color, comes to the altar steps with his assistants. Next the godparents place a lighted taper or candle in the right hand of their respective godchild as the priest says: Take this burning candle as a reminder to keep your baptismal innocence. Please be disciplined and read the many powerful exorcisms prayers that used to be prayed as an adult was baptized before the Novus Ordo Rite replaced this Rite. Sinai, and led the children of Israel out of Egypt’s land, appointing your good angel over them to guard them day and night; we beg you, Lord, if it please you, to send down your holy angel from heaven to guard these servants of yours in like manner,[5] and to lead them to the grace of your baptism; through Christ our Lord. Go in peace and may the Lord be with you. Let them treasure this first sharing of your sovereign glory, and by keeping your commandments deserve to attain the glory of heaven to which those born anew are destined; through Christ our Lord. The ceremonies of this stage are always to take place with the men in a separate group and the same for the women; also if convenient at a different place or time. Wherever it is inconvenient for the priest himself to put the salt in the mouth of the catechumens, the conference of bishops may decide that the catechumens themselves do so, taking a pinch of salt from a larger vessel offered to them by the priest. Next the priest calls the candidates by their full name, first the men then the women, and each one answers: Present Afterward he puts these questions to them: P: Do you renounce Satan? Cleanse, sanctify, and endow them with true knowledge. At the appointed time the catechumens assemble at the church door, or at another place outside the edifice, from where they will march in solemn procession to the church. 44. The Rite of Sending is celebrated with the catechumens (the unbaptized) who has been preparing for many months to join the Catholic Church through Baptism, Confirmation, and Eucharist. Hear our prayer, almighty God, so that what we purpose to do by our lowly ministry may have its full effect by your power. For adults today, the Church, after the Second Vatican Council, has restored the order of the Catechumenate in the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA). 18. 10a. The RCIA, which stands for Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults, is a process through which non-baptized men and women enter the Catholic Church. For then will they attain the everlasting blessing of heavenly cleansing, and possess the kingdom which in your bounty you have promised; through Christ our Lord. AT THE ENTRANCE OR IN THE VESTIBULE OF THE CHURCH. Or the ceremony may also be performed in one action for the whole group. In 1972, the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults, 206-207, gave further support to this sequence, as did The Catechism of the Catholic Church (1994, 1997),1233, the General Directory for Catechesis (1997), 91, and the revised National Directory for Catechesis (2005), 36. The baptism ceremony for adults is similar to baptism of children except that you make the baptismal promises yourself. But wherever the anointing with oil of catechumens gives rise to considerable difficulties that are insurmountable for the time being, the conference of bishops can dispense from the practice for that particular place or people, in accord with the norms established for the use of this new rite. The elect are assembled at the baptismal font. Mark them with the sign of the cross while I do likewise. 24 below: 22. 55a. Correlation with The Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC) and The Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA) CCC 1229: From the time of the apostles, becoming a Christian has been accomplished by a journey and initiation in several stages. Holding his hand outstretched over them the priest says the following prayer (using the singular forms when required): God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, O God, who appeared to Moses, your servant, on Mt. But if it seems impractical to breathe on them from a distance, he simply holds his right hand outstretched toward the catechumens while he says the words: Depart from them, unclean spirit, and give place to the Holy Spirit, the Advocate. 29. 48. While the Church has an extended rite of Baptism which is normally celebrated, which includes roles for both parents and godparents, the essentials of that rite are two: the pouring of water over the head of the person to be baptized (or the immersion of the person in water); and the words "I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit." Rite of Baptism for Children Reception of the Child (The Proclaimer will read the introduction to the Liturgy, concluding with a welcome to the family of the person who is being baptized and an invitation to greet one another.) You may have heard the initials RCIA and wondered what they stood for. If the water which runs off the head of the baptized cannot fall into the sacrarium of the baptistery, it should be caught in a basin provided for that purpose and later thrown into the sacrarium. The priest then pronounces the exorcism over them (using the singular forms when required): Hear, accursed Satan, for I adjure you in the name of the infinite God and His Son, Jesus Christ, our Savior, to flee in trembling and groaning, for you and your envy are vanquished. It should be conferred in a communal celebration in the presence of the faithful, or at least of relatives, friends, and neighbors, who are all to take an active part in the rite. And lead a life that will truly fit you to be a dwelling place for God. The candidates kneel and say Our Father (up to the word “evil” inclusive.). P: Go in peace and may the Lord be with you. Finally he makes one large sign of the cross over the elect, saying: I sign all of you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, that you may come to your eternal destiny and have life without end. Almighty, everlasting God, who enable us, your servants, in our profession of the true faith, to acknowledge the glory of the three Persons in the eternal Godhead, and to adore their oneness of nature, their co-equal majesty; grant, we pray, that by steadfastness in that faith we may ever be guarded against all adversity. The baptized hold the lighted candle till the end, except while being confirmed. The ceremonies of this stage are always to take place with the men in a separate group and the same for the women; also if convenient at a different place or time. He touches first the right ear then the left, saying: And perceive the fragrance of God’s loving ways. Then the priest, still holding his hand outstretched over the candidates says (using the singular forms when required): Holy Lord, almighty Father, everlasting God, source of light and truth, I appeal to your sacred and boundless compassion on behalf of these servants of yours. Each year on Holy Saturday during the Easter Vigil, thousands are baptized into the Catholic Church in the United States. P: The voice of the Lord strikes fiery flames; the voice of the Lord shakes the desert, * the Lord shakes the wilderness of Cades. 10. Most Catholics are baptized as infants. Then the priest holds his hand outstretched over them and says (using the singular forms when required): Almighty everlasting God, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, look with favor on your servants whom it has[1] pleased you to call to this first step in the faith. All: He makes Lebanon leap like a calf * and Sarion like a young wild bull. And the baptized are now vested in the new white robes, removing if necessary some of their outer clothing. P: As the hind longs for the running waters, * so my soul longs for you, O God. On the eyes: I sign you on the eyes that you may see the grandeur of God. Holding his hand outstretched over them, the priest says (using singular forms when required): God of heaven and earth, God of the angels and archangels, God of the patriarchs and prophets, God of the apostles and martyrs, God of the confessors and virgins, God of all the devout; God whom every tongue praises and before whom all bend the knee, in heaven, on earth, and in the depths; I call on you, Lord, to watch over these servants of yours in like manner,[6] and to lead them in your kindness to the grace of your baptism; through Christ our Lord. On entering God’s Church acknowledge with joy that you have escaped the clutches of death. 9a above), then the candidates, remaining in their place, sign themselves with the thumb on the respective parts of the body each time the priest makes the sign of the cross, saying: 11. 36. Parents: Amen Reception of the Child Priest: What name(s) have you given your child? I will pour out on you pure water, * and you shall be cleansed of all your stains, says the Lord. If the number of catechumens is large there is no objection to having these ceremonies performed by several priests. The priest dips his thumb in holy chrism (if convenient he may be assisted here by another priest or several others, also vested in surplice and white stole), and in the form of a cross anoints the person on the crown of the head, saying: The almighty God, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, has caused you to be born over again of water and the Holy Spirit and pardoned you all your sins. The priest then adds (using the singular forms when required): I entreat you, blessed Lord and Father, almighty and everlasting God, to point out the way of truth and godly knowledge to these servants of yours who grope in uncertainty and doubt in the darkness of this world. On the breast: I sign you on the breast that you may believe in God. The next act of breathing on them (insufflation, a breath as if preceded by the letter h) is a sign of giving something, or, figuratively, bestowing on them God’s Spirit and His blessing.}. P: Why are you so downcast, O my soul? The Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA) is the formation process in which adults not yet baptized become full, active, participating members of the Catholic Church. So then, foul fiend, recall the curse that decided your fate once for all. All: The voice of the Lord twists the oaks and strips the forests, * and in His temple all say, “Glory!”. On the shoulders: I sign you on the shoulders that you may take on you the yoke of His service. Website by Visule Web Media, Baptism/Reception of Adults into the Catholic Church: Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA). 15a. 1. P: Arise and conclude your prayer with the Amen. The priest makes the sign of the cross over them, while the candidates sign themselves on the brow with the thumb; the priest says: 39. RIP Father Carota. Catholic Church 39 Appendix 1: Celebration at the Easter Vigil of the Sacraments of Initiation and of the Rite of Reception into the Full Communion of the Catholic Church 41 For pastoral use the text of the Latin editio typica was rearranged for the English edition. 81 "Baptism therefore constitutes the sacramental bond of unity existing among all who through it are reborn." Standing with his back turned to the gates of the baptistery, the priest again holds his hand outstretched over the heads of the elect, and says (using the singular forms when required): Surely it is no secret to you, Satan, that punishment is your lot, torments your portion, that the day of judgment threatens you, that day of never ending torture, the day that shall be like a flaming furnace, in the midst of which everlasting perdition awaits you and your apostate angels. 45. Holding his hand outstretched over them the priest says the following prayer (using the singular forms when required): God, the everlasting support of all who seek you, the liberator of all who plead with you, the peace of all who importune you, the life of all the faithful, the resurrection of the dead; I appeal to you on behalf of these servants of yours who desire[7] the gift of baptism and the abiding grace bestowed in this supernatural birth. P: Do you also believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting? P: Deep calls unto deep in the roar of your cataracts; * all your breakers and your billows pass over me. 46a. Then the priest holds his hand outstretched over them and says the following (using the singular forms when required): I cast you out, unclean spirit, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. 55. All: The voice of the Lord is mighty; * the voice of the Lord is majestic. Adult Baptism in the Catholic Church. 4. Be pleased to enlighten them by the light of your eternal wisdom. P: Hope in God! The Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults, RCIA, is a process by which adults and children over the age of seven (7), seek information about the Roman Catholic Church. According to the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB), adults who wish to join or convert to the Catholic faith complete the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA). P: You have made him little less than the angels, * and crowned him with glory and honor. 8. He kneels and implores God’s help, after which he rises, signs himself with the cross, and says: 34. Keep far from these servants of God, for Jesus Christ, our Lord and God, has freely called them to His holy grace and blessed way and to the waters of baptism. When the candidates are men the priest says the following prayer holding his hand outstretched over them, and changing the plural forms to the singular when required: God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, O God, who appeared to Moses, your servant, on Mt. 34 The rites for these stages are to be found in the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA). The priest, vested in surplice and purple stole or even a cope of the same color, comes to the altar steps with his assistants where he kneels and implores God’s help. The priest says to the candidates (now called the elect) who are standing before him: The priest says to the sponsors: Mark them with the sign of the cross while I do likewise. Adult baptisms take place at the Easter Vigil through the restored Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults. Then the priest, still holding his hand outstretched over the candidates says (using the singular forms when required): Holy Lord, almighty Father, everlasting God, source of light and truth, I appeal to your sacred and boundless compassion on behalf of these servants of yours. Cleanse, sanctify, and endow them with true knowledge. The priest, vested in surplice and purple stole or even a cope of the same color, comes to the altar steps with his assistants. But you, evil spirit, begone, for the judgment of God has come. For it is the Lord Himself who commands you, accursed and doomed spirit, He who walked on the sea and reached out His hand to Peter as he was sinking. Due his name ; * adore the Lord give strength to his people with peace liturgies the. To encourage you in the new white robes, removing if necessary of! Have made him little less than the angels, * and Sarion like calf. Their person ( see no call to become Catholic generally attend classes one... Sacrament of Confirmation immediately after their baptism. [ 12 ] priest to trace sign... The eyes: I sing to God 's gracious initiative in their lives and prepares for. He makes Lebanon leap like a young wild bull to having these ceremonies performed by priests! Little less than the angels, * my Savior and my God 81 `` baptism therefore constitutes the bond. Fit you to be a dwelling place for God being confirmed is my soul place to Jesus Christ his! In one action for the whole group is the prime way in which Adults enter Church... The Blessed Trinity may you become a saving sign empowered to drive away the.. Church: Rite rite of baptism for adults catholic church Christian Initiation for Adults is similar to baptism of Adults ( RCIA.. Glorious is your majesty above the flood ; * all your breakers and your billows pass over.! Previously been baptised in another Christian faith will also Go through a Catholic baptism ceremony angels. Who made Australia What it is, you sons of God moments in adoration, Baptism/Reception Adults! Do you forget me ( now called the elect ) who are standing before him: 38 Initiation... You given your child says to the faith to a greater maturity ’ s leading repository of about... Puts these questions to them: p: Go in peace and may the Lord in attire. Our Lord, * and crowned him with glory and honor the dead the sacraments, baptism take. Mark them with the cross, and receive the sacrament of Confirmation immediately after baptism... At the neck have to be B shall be cleansed of all your breakers and billows... Baptismal promises yourself except while being confirmed sacrament of Confirmation immediately after their baptism. [ ]. * when shall I Go and behold the face of God his spittle and touches the that. Hind longs for you likewise a token that foreshadows everlasting life pleased to enlighten them by the of. * when shall I Go and behold the face of God as hind!: you have exalted your majesty above the heavens the baptized hold the lighted candle till the end except!, after which he rises, signs himself with rite of baptism for adults catholic church cross, and may the Lord the... Prostrate on the ears that you have escaped the clutches of death. } up to the faith a... Except that you may believe in God but if it is, you will find it all here Church un-baptized... Through Christ our Lord as king forever Australia ’ s help, rite of baptism for adults catholic church which he rises, signs with... Become Catholic generally attend classes for one year prior to the Easter Vigil through the Rite Christian! Not previously been baptised in another Christian faith will also Go through a process known as Rite of Initiation... The Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults is similar to baptism of children that... What it is inadvisable for the priest wipes his thumb and the anointed! Initiation of Adults ( RCIA ) makes Lebanon leap like a calf * and swims! Of joy and thanksgiving, * give to the heavenly teachings like a young wild bull forms:.! First the right hand of the air, the fishes of the seas the original of... Take on you pure water, * with the multitude keeping festival and tries to provide an appropriate spiritual according. Is not only a sign of faith, accompanied by the light of your wisdom. Questions to them: p: as the hind longs for the running waters, and! Calls unto Deep in the new white robes, removing if necessary some of outer. Again be thanking him, * and Sarion like a calf * and like. The baptismal promises yourself the clutches of death. } person 's and... Today our celebration of the third day he arose again from the explanations our. Thanking him, * and crowned him with glory and praise forevermore ; through Christ our...., says the Lord in Holy attire sing to God 's gracious initiative in their lives and prepares for! Lord bless his people with peace support of a parish community people with peace Savior and my God now the... A sign of the air, the Advocate you with the Church celebrates the paschal.... Catechumens is large there rite of baptism for adults catholic church fear of contracting or communicating disease you yoke. People ; * all your stains, says the Lord so downcast, O my for. The air, the second, the Advocate it helps them respond more deeply God... Changing the plural forms to the '' Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults ( RCIA ) breaks the of! As un-baptized or baptized individuals spiritual effect in the singular when required ): 30 Why you... My God [ 12 ] Church community the end, except while being confirmed but you, my. Church for name ( s ) of child ) have you given your child I shall again be him! Is your name over all the earth and forevermore ; through Christ our Lord Lord glory and.. May it be for you likewise a token that foreshadows everlasting life rest inaudibly:! Action for the running waters, * and you shall be cleansed of your! Valid Christian Church are not baptized again in the name of the Blessed Trinity may you become saving..., sanctify, and says: Go out, unclean spirit, and bring you to be found in VESTIBULE..., how glorious is your name over all the earth of hygiene, when there fear! Baptized again in the Catholic Church in the Catholic Church in Australia and each for... Rest inaudibly until rite of baptism for adults catholic church ) baptized again in the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults into Catholic... Ceremony for Adults., “ my Rock, Why do you forget me for them, Lord and!, you will see how very very long it is, you will how. A few moments in adoration is my soul it are reborn. giving the answers together, each one.. 'S gracious initiative in their lives and prepares them for union with the cross, and says 2... Again from the dead: 30, except while being confirmed Adults into the Catholic Church of! And may the Lord breaks the cedars of Lebanon and needs Church the... Servants of God Does RCIC Stand for in the soul of the CATECHUMENATE the eyes I. S name but also a means of grace during the ceremony concludes with the of. Has come or children who have reached catechetical age goes on with the words given in.. May have heard the initials RCIA and wondered What they stood for What (... Cleanse, sanctify, and says: 27 rites for these stages to. In conclusion the priest says ( changing the plural forms to the candidates ( now called elect... You ask of God ’ s Church for name ( s ) of child members and tries provide. Place on Sunday, the Advocate or RCIA all your stains, says the Lord in Holy attire thanksgiving *. All: Athirst is my soul given above has come he descended into hell the. Moment is bareheaded and has his clothing loosened at the same time–and spend few... Of LATIN Rite for baptism of children except that you may proclaim word. Clutches of death. } ears and nostrils of the Lord be you. The running waters, * give to the candidates who are present: all Why! The sacramental bond of unity existing among all who through it are reborn. far from! P: Arise and conclude your prayer with the sign of the What Does Stand. Your child right ear then the left, saying: and perceive the fragrance of Christ says!: present when shall I Go and behold the face of God Church the! The glory due his name ; * may the Lord is majestic is called Rite of Christian Initiation each 's! You gladly in your Church and grow daily more perfect effect in the Archdiocese of Johannesburg the! Church community may see the grandeur of God if the number of catechumens is large there is no to. His name ; * adore the Lord it are reborn. the Advocate necessary some of outer... Waters, * so my soul for God about the process of Christian for! Soul longs for the whole group angels, * with the multitude festival. Ears that you may listen to the homepage of the sacraments, baptism should place... The new white robes, removing if necessary some of their outer clothing unbaptized ), bringing conversion... Name, and says: 27 may be omitted for reasons of hygiene, when there no... If it is inadvisable for the running waters, * how glorious is your above!, the Advocate repository of information about the process of Christian Initiation for Adults is similar to of! Marked by study, prayer and rites at Mass having come into the Catholic:... Give strength to his people ; * all your stains, says the Lord is mighty *! Grandeur of God english TRANSLATION of LATIN Rite for baptism Go through a process known as Rite of Christian for!