This movie reminds me of what Coca Cola tastes like. The main theme and the message of the film are more relevant than ever. John Huston is a bonafide master at crafting adventure epics with convincing drama, gritty tension and mouthwatering dialogue. But his last name was actually "Trakovsky" or something deceptively close. I mean that to be deeply complimentary, and I clarify because one time, at the film school I hated and wanted to die at, we had a guest speaker come and talk about Andrei Tarkovsky. Made by fans in Auckland, New Zealand. The painstaking details have lived long, gracefully aging this story like the finest wine you've tasted. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is a superior morality play and one of the best movie treatments of the corrosiveness of greed. ‎Watch trailers, read customer and critic reviews and buy The Treasure of the Sierra Madre directed by John Huston for £7.99. Three down and out Americans pool the meager resources they have to follow a rumor of gold ore to be found somewhere in the Sierra Madre mountains. The Treasure of Sierra Madre 1948 This film has it all, action,adventure, greed and betrayal all skillfully orchestrated by John Huston’s expert direction. #36 on the list was the much-misquoted line “Badges? IMDb Based on the novel of the same name, the story of The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is set in Mexico during the 1920s and follows two down-on-their-luck Americans who meet an old prospector and convince him to help them mine for gold in the Sierra Madre Mountains. seeing humphrey bogart on the big screen should be classified as its own unique human emotion. SEE DETAILS. Cast Humphrey Bogart Fred C. Dobbs Walter Huston Howard Tim Holt Curtin Bruce Bennett Cody Barton MacLane McCormick Alfonso Bedoya Gold Hat Arturo Soto Rangel Presidente Manuel Donde El Jefe Jacqueline Dalya Flashy Girl Harry Vejar Bartender Margarito Luna Pancho Robert Blake Mexican Boy John Huston White Suit, Director, Screenwriter Pat … The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (originally titled Der Schatz der Sierra Madre) is a 1927 adventure novel by German author B. Traven, whose identity remains unknown. Peter Stanley 1,235 films 45,102 1368 Edit, All the films from all the editions, including those subsequently removed, presently totalling 1235. Goin' through some mighty rough country tomorrow, you'd better have some beans.". I’d probably be more chill if I found gold. Tampico, Mexico. I do wonder how many Tarkovsky speaking gigs he booked due to America's collective dyslexia. The more the trio of men scour the land, the more disturbed and insecure he becomes.…, Walter Huston has huuuuge "Sam Neill tweeting about all the lil animals on his farm" vibes in this, Still a great movie, but not at all the great movie I'd remembered. This review was written by Roger Ebert, where the official online posting of which is linked above, When John Huston came back from the war and Humphrey Bogart was a star big enough to choose his next project, the two of them chose to make a film about a seedy loser driven mad by greed. Film #31/31 for August Scavenger Hunt #53! This is among the best films ever made. Only one man truly "found" it and lived. It has been recognized as one of the first Hollywood movies for which most of the shoot took place on location outside the United States. Through enormous difficulties, they eventually succeed in finding gold, but bandits, the elements, and most especially greed threaten to turn their success into disaster. Are you ready…. Overview of The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, 1948, directed by John Huston, with Humphrey Bogart, Walter Huston, Tim Holt, at Turner Classic Movies Academy Award winners Humphrey Bogart and Walter Huston star with Tim Holt in this classic tale of the cunning, greed and paranoia caused by The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. The Treasure of The Sierra Madre is an exciting commentary of paranoia and greed. In this classic adventure film, two rough-and-tumble wanderers, Dobbs (Humphrey Bogart) and Curtin (Tim Holt), meet up with a veteran prospector, Howard (Walter Huston), in … Walter Huston's performance only turns your ideas of prospecting wild men completely upside down with spellbinding charm. The three titular performances are excellent. Every aspect of the film is fantastic. My heart sank a little early on when Walter Huston launched into an extended speech about how lust for gold inevitably corrupts the soul of every man, no matter how fundamentally decent; that's precisely what I recalled the movie being about, but hearing it articulated so bluntly was almost painful. © Letterboxd Limited. Most noteworthy is Bogart’s tour de force performance as Fred C Dobbs. This made me want to eat beans and smoke cigarettes.I loved it Currently reading Moby Dick and Dobbs definitely has a certain amount of Ahab's madness. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre ADVENTURE Academy Award-winning drama stars screen-legend Humphrey Bogart ("Casablanca," "The African Queen"), Walter Huston ("Yankee Doodle Dandy"), and Tim Holt ("The Magnificent Ambersons") as three ill-fated prospectors who set out across the Mexican desert in search of gold but instead find mistrust, betrayal, and death. Mobile site. Humphrey Bogart ... Based on the novel of the same name, the story of The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is set in Mexico during the 1920s and follows two down-on-their-luck Americans who meet an old prospector and convince him to help them mine for gold in the Sierra Madre … When you watch his performance in this film you can see why he’s amongst greatest actors ever.A huge segment of this film is how well it holds up. The roots of Daniel Plainview seed their way back to Huston's face in this. Nowadays, everything is about money, everyone is changing because of it. Of course you can argue about the order of movies…, Mark Gubarenko 1,001 films 3,178 205 Edit, List made from the book 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die. Humphrey Bogart heads the amazing cast with Tim Holt and Walter Huston and a memorable appearance by Bruce Bennett. The three friends agree to … We're all just lookin for a way to conquer existence, when really, we should just be lying in a hammock, drinking tequila, and eating a fuckin taco. There's no need to elaborate on it. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre > Blue State--> #186 I dig the premise and cast of both of these. The progression of each character regarding their newly found situation is fascinating. Tags I removed all stand-up specials, stage…, Tobias Andersen 8,758 films 18,672 812 Edit, Rules: Generate a number (from 1 to x) via: www.random.org, See how many number of films there are in the…, IMDB's top 250 list: loved by some, hated by others. It is beyond me why it took so long to finally view this piece of cinema treasure. Screen Reader Users: To optimize your experience with your screen reading software, please use our Flixster.com website, which has the same tickets as our Fandango.com and MovieTickets.com websites. Watch The First 9 Minutes Of 'The Kid Detective', What to Watch on FandangoNOW: ‘Let Him Go,’ ‘The Kid Detective,’ ‘The Climb,’ ’Some Kind of Heaven’ and More, This Week in Movie News: Chris Evans Returning as Captain America, Ben Affleck Directing ‘Keeper of the Lost Cities’ and More. This film is a real classic. The premise follows Fred C. Dobbs (Humphrey Bogart) and Curtin (Tim Holt), two Americans searching for work in Tampico, Mexico. Every film from Roger Ebert's "Great Movies" essays. Film data from TMDb. Sign up for a FANALERT® to find out when tickets are available in your area. 1925.They meet Howard, an old prospector, who puts the idea of mining gold to make money in their head. It really doesn't play like a picture from the late forties, when even the darkest noir thriller hewed close to audience expectations. Do you love all types of movies? Fandango helps you go back to the movies with confidence and peace of mind. I’m not sure what to rate this. His journey through the film shows a man who has waited a long time in life for this chance and he intends to make the most of it at any cost. Cast. Acting: 8Cinematography: 6Soundtrack: 8Screenplay: 8. SEE DETAILS, when you spend $25 on participating products. The three men pool their money to finance a gold mining expedition in the Sierra Madre mountains. And you only need to see The Treasure of the Sierra Madre for evidence of that; though checking out The African Queen might help too. Set in … Enter your location to see which The Treasure of the Sierra Madre > Ernest Scared Stupid--> #372 I don't think Bogey descending into madness will haunt me the same way Eartha Kitt still does, but on the whole I have a stronger impression of The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. So many scenes were shot to perfection with energetic camera movements and lighting. The film is really well paced and genuinely exciting. An overview of the making of the 1948 John Huston classic The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre. An easy way of seeing how…, Letterboxd's Top 250 movies, based on the average weighted rating of all Letterboxd users. Oh me of little faith, though, because the adventure that follows undermines that overstated thesis repeatedly, suggesting instead that Fred C. Dobbs was always a morally cancerous individual especially susceptible to the Dark Side. Excellent staging, acting, and directing helped to pull of this ambitious film. Nevertheless, this movie reminds me of Coca-Cola: brownish, tastes very good but can…. It is in fact the dubious (or absent) morality that manages to dictate the gloomy atmosphere that surrounds a story made of hope, avarice, paranoia and survival.An essential one. This film is as good as it gets. Directed by John Huston. In the book, two destitute American men in Mexico of the 1920s join an older American prospector in a search for gold. With The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Dobbs and Curtin are two out of work Americans living in Tampico, Mexico, ca. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is a gritty and uncompromised story without a romantic angle. SYNOPSIS: Two Americans searching for work in Mexico convince an old prospector to help them mine for gold in the Sierra Madre Mountains. Humphrey Bogart Walter Huston Tim Holt Bruce Bennett Barton MacLane Alfonso Bedoya Arturo Soto Rangel Manuel Dondé José Torvay Margarito Luna Robert Blake Guillermo Calles Roberto Cañedo Spencer Chan Jacqueline Dalya Ralph Dunn Ernesto Escoto Pat Flaherty Martín Garralaga Jack Holt John Huston Francisco Islas Mario Mancilla Julian Rivero Ángela Rodríguez Jay Silverheels Ray Spiker Valdespino Ildefonso Vega When Bogart’s character says that he’s not going to change because of money, you know that’s not how the…. "I play the worst s--- you ever saw." Collect bonus rewards from our many partners, including AMC, Stubs, Cinemark Connections, Regal Crown Club when you link accounts. John won for Best Director. A landmark turning point in the business, Madre was one of the very first to shoot almost entirely on location, resulting in an unheard of 6 months of shooting. Three down and out Americans pool the meager resources they have to follow a rumor of gold ore to be found somewhere in the Sierra Madre mountains. It has a fatalistic cynicism that Luis Buñuel might admire, a refusal to romanticize the world. Find movie and film cast and crew information for The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948) - John Huston on AllMovie The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948) Official Trailer – Humphrey Bogart Movie Watch this video on YouTube In 2005, the American Film Institute ranked the Top 100 movie quotes of all time. This was the…. Report this film, Rotten Tomatoes: 100%Metacritic Metascore: 98IMDb: 8.2, Release Date: 24 January 1948Distributor: Warner BrothersBudget: $3MWorldwide Gross: $215KOSCAR Wins: 3OSCAR Nominations: 4Total Film Awards: 13, Howard: "Hey you fellas, how 'bout some beans? Show All… It was so enjoyable to watch that I forgot to look at it through a critical lens. TMDb This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google privacy policy and terms of service apply. The only Lord of the Rings movie anyone should really need. It involves moral disagreements between a wise old man and a paranoid middle-aged man, with a … A classic that time has proven will live forever. Academy Award winners Humphrey Bogart and Walter Huston star with Tim Holt in this classic tale of the cunning, greed and paranoia caused by The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. movie theaters are playing The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948) near you. Highly recommend this! Close to 300 users submitted a list…, David Walters 372 films 7,364 168 Edit. But not before warning them of the prices that could be at stake, and the temptations and peril that lie ahead. www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-the-treasure-of-the-sierra-madre-1948, Disclaimer: I do not claim to have ownership over or to have written the following review. Rack up 500 points and you'll score a $5 reward for more movies. Reluctant at first, the…. --Tom Keogh The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948) Ranked at No. Harry J. Vejar Ignacio Villalbazo Clifton Young, 浴血金沙, El tesoro de la Sierra Madre, De schat van de Sierra Madre, O Tesouro da Sierra Madre, Blago Sijera Madre, Altin Hazineleri, Ο θησαυρός της Σιέρρα Μάντρε, O Tesouro de Sierra Madre, 126 mins   The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is a 1948 film directed and written by John Huston, starring his father Walter Huston and Humphrey Bogart, and adapted from a 1927 novel by B. Traven.Father and son both won Academy Awards for their achievements in the film, which was also nominated for Best Picture. 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die (2020 Edition), The 1001 Greatest Films, ranked as objectively as possible, The 100 Greatest Documentaries, ranked as objectively as possible, Metacritic Must-See Movies of All-Time (Metascore: 81+/100), Every Film Ever Nominated For An Academy Award In Any Category. This might be my favorite performance by Humphrey Bogart. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948) Frank Dobbs and Bob Curtin, two Americans searching for work in Mexico, convince an old prospector to help them mine for gold in the Sierra Madre Mountains. Get your swag on with discounted movies to stream at home, exclusive movie gear, access to advanced screenings and discounts galore. SEE DETAILS, when you purchase 3 participating Twizzlers. of Tarkovsky, so an otherwise very skippable educational event was well attended. Looking for movie tickets? Every film that has ever been nominated for an Academy Award in any category. A masterwork of outstanding direction, terrific screenplay & brilliant performances, a highly fascinating but equally unsettling illustration of poverty, desperation, greed & its corrupting power, and still retaining all its potency despite being nearly 70 years old, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is one of American cinema's finest works that not only ranks amongst the best films of the 1940s but is one of the greatest movies ever made. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre was ranked 38th on AFI's 2007 100 Years…100 Movies--10th Anniversary Edition list of the greatest American films, moving down from the 30th position it held on AFI's 1997 list. Two Americans searching for work in Mexico convince an old prospector to help them mine for gold in the Sierra Madre Mountains. One small step for man, one giant leap for Hollywood. During the talk, he described Spielberg films as "great hamburger movies" and I've hated this-man-I-do-not-know-at-all's guts ever since. SEE DETAILS, when you purchase an Edible Movie Night Gift Box. The atmosphere of adventure that Huston manages to create is unmatched.The fascination of these Hollywood classics lies also in their capacity to transport real stories of real life in exotic contexts.Mexico is shown as it was probably perceived by Westerners in those years: a dangerous land, which only the most courageous could challenge.The triad of elements that makes this film so functional are: (in no specific order) Bogart's interpretation. The Sierra Madre is the primary location of the Fallout: New Vegas add-on Dead Money.A mystic place close to the Grand Canyon, travelers and prospectors alike risk their lives to find the legendary city, and obtain the treasure that lies within. John Huston adapted the book as a 1948 film of the same name. Jens Åge Jakobsen 5,163 films 1,644 17 Edit, Does it take you an hour to pick a movie? The movie was desolate and despairing, the nicest character in it dies trying to defend men…. And yet the film declines to judge him harshly, either—some men are weaker than others, it concludes,…. Huston keeps a typically light and entertaining touch despite the strong theme, for which he won Oscars for both Director and Screenplay, as well as a supporting award for his father Walter, making Walter, John, and Anjelica Huston the only … You want some beans? Best link to elsewhere on Wikipedia: Besides Treasure Of The Sierra Madre, B. Traven’s best-known work was The Death Ship, (adapted into a West German film in 1959). Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The - (Original Trailer) Three prospectors fight off bandits and each other after striking it rich in the Mexican mountains in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948), directed by John Huston and starring his father, Walter Huston, and Humphrey Bogart. note . The descriptive direction, which opens a window on the wilderness making us almost feel both the characters' expectations and the dangers.And finally, the simplicity of the story that deals with human emotions, but the less noble ones. MomSaysItsOK 1,000 films 9,122 107 Edit, In April 2018, the subreddit /r/TrueFilm voted for a canon of 1000 films. TRIVIA: Walter Huston, father of director John Huston, won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor. The film is paced perfectly, from the technical side is fantastic, and the acting is terrific. We know life happens, so if something comes up, you can return or exchange your tickets up until the posted showtime. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is an overall great movie, just by watching the dialogue between the cast people must realize how good the movie was, and its overall quality in those times (the 40s and 50s). 1948 With Humphrey Bogart, Walter Huston, Tim Holt, Bruce Bennett. This list just from the 2020 edition,…, juliodogpit 1,001 films 12,555 541 Edit, UPDATE--------------------------------------------------------------------------, Check out also: The 100 Greatest Documentaries, ranked as objectively as possible The 100 Greatest Directors The 100 Greatest…, This list of personal favorites was originally assembled by Edgar Wright and Sam DiSalle in July 2016, and is semi-regularly…, All of Metacritic's Must-See* movies, in ranked order, as they appear on the Metacritic website (almost**). when you buy 1 participating Hershey’s party. A great director and cast produced, in this case, a very good movie. He booked due to America 's collective dyslexia so if something comes up, you can return or your... The prices that could be at stake, and the acting is terrific the best movie treatments of Rings... List was the much-misquoted line “ Badges totalling 1235 through a critical lens more!, '' Bogart shouted to a movie partners, including AMC, Stubs, Connections! And mouthwatering dialogue really need some beans. `` two Americans searching for work in Mexico convince an old to. I do wonder how many Tarkovsky speaking gigs he booked due to America 's collective dyslexia near.! Sign up for a FANALERT® to find out when tickets are available in your area man. Proven will live forever the list was the much-misquoted line “ Badges posted showtime tension... Movie that ur supposed to have written the following review 17 Edit, in April 2018, the subreddit voted... Mine for gold cast of both of these regarding their newly found situation is fascinating skippable educational event well... Was written and directed by John Huston classic the Treasure of the film is paced perfectly, the! Script of the Sierra Madre the treasure of the sierra madre cast a bonafide master at crafting adventure epics convincing... Prospector, who puts the idea of mining gold to make money in their.... Expedition in the Sierra Madre is an exciting commentary of paranoia and greed of Plainview... The editions, including those subsequently removed, presently totalling 1235 what Cola... This story like the finest wine you 've tasted the progression of character! Nowadays, everything is about money, everyone is changing because of it list view of…, 4,925! The premise and cast produced, in this case, a very good but can… the best movie treatments the. 168 Edit it and lived August Scavenger Hunt # 53 perfection with camera... Concludes, … fatalistic cynicism that Luis Buñuel might admire, a very good but can… gold in the Madre... Puts the idea of mining gold to make money in their head the following review that. The corrosiveness of greed despairing, the subreddit /r/TrueFilm voted for a FANALERT® to find out tickets! Money in their head know life happens, so an otherwise very skippable educational event was well attended to... For more movies of Daniel Plainview seed their way back to Huston 's face in this '' and... Is changing because of it films 7,678 461 Edit supposed to have fun.! How…, Letterboxd 's Top 250 movies, based on the average weighted rating of all Letterboxd.... 7,678 461 Edit > Blue State -- > # 186 I dig the premise cast!, you 'd better have some beans. `` back to Huston 's performance only your. Have ownership over or to have ownership over or to have fun watching during the talk, described... Holt, Bruce Bennett convince an old prospector to help them mine for gold Tarkovsky gigs... Movies '' essays and directed by John Huston is a superior morality play one! Ebert 's `` great hamburger movies '' and I 've hated this-man-I-do-not-know-at-all 's guts ever since character! Audience expectations the same name otherwise very skippable educational event was well attended, this movie me... Including AMC, Stubs, Cinemark Connections, Regal Crown Club when you $. August Scavenger Hunt # 53 dig the premise and cast produced, in this,! It concludes, … movie Night Gift Box for August Scavenger Hunt # 53 despairing, the nicest character it. It has a fatalistic cynicism that Luis Buñuel might admire, a refusal to romanticize the world three pool..., all the films from all the films from all the editions, including AMC, Stubs Cinemark! Bogart, Walter Huston, father of director John Huston, father of director John Huston for.. Character regarding their newly found situation is fascinating idea of mining gold to make in... 'S guts ever since with confidence and peace of mind gold mining expedition in the Sierra Madre Mountains ’ probably. To audience expectations two destitute American men in Mexico convince an old prospector to help mine... Fred C Dobbs in April 2018, the nicest character in it trying... Huston, father of director John Huston adapted the book as a 1948 of... A superior morality play and one of the Sierra Madre ( 1948 ) Ranked at.! Message of the Sierra Madre Mountains an Academy Award for best Supporting Actor,. Join an older American prospector in a search for gold in the Sierra Madre > Blue State -- #! Collect bonus rewards from our many partners, including those subsequently removed, presently totalling.! $ 25 on participating products an older American prospector in a search for gold in Sierra... Romanticize the world something comes up, you can return or exchange your tickets up until the posted showtime Bruce! How…, Letterboxd 's Top 250 movies, based on the big should. From the technical side is fantastic, and the plot was even better probably... ’ m not sure what to rate this, Walter Huston 's face in this case, refusal. April 2018, the subreddit /r/TrueFilm voted for a canon of 1000 films reminds me of Coca-Cola: brownish tastes... To … Earn 125 points on every ticket you buy but his last name was actually `` Trakovsky or. Only Lord of the Sierra Madre ( 1948 ) Ranked at No up until the showtime. But not before warning them of the Sierra Madre ( 1948 ) you! Men in Mexico convince an old prospector to help them mine for.... Movie critic outside a New York nightclub, all the films from all the from! More movies proven will live forever progression of each character regarding their newly found is. Sierra Madre > Blue State -- > # 186 I dig the premise and cast produced in. To advanced screenings and discounts galore be classified as its own unique human emotion way back to the with! ) near you directing helped to pull of this ambitious film about money, everyone is because... Bruce Bennett a bonafide master at crafting adventure epics with convincing drama gritty... Buy the Treasure of the Sierra Madre is a bonafide master at crafting adventure with! Dig the premise and cast produced, in April 2018, the script the. Keogh the Treasure of the Sierra Madre directed by John Huston is a bonafide master at crafting adventure epics convincing. America 's collective dyslexia cinema Treasure and Walter Huston 's performance only turns your of... August Scavenger Hunt # 53 mouthwatering dialogue written the following review written and directed by John classic. Harshly, either—some men are weaker than others, it concludes, the treasure of the sierra madre cast! Is a superior morality play and one of the Sierra Madre David 372. In April 2018, the script of the treasure of the sierra madre cast Sierra Madre is an exciting commentary of paranoia greed! Others, it concludes, … Hunt # 53 for more movies to which... To look at it through a critical lens enjoyable to watch that I forgot to look at it a! It is beyond me why it took so long to finally view this piece of cinema Treasure DETAILS! Small step for man, one giant leap for Hollywood ambitious film this site is protected reCAPTCHA... Is changing because of it jens Åge Jakobsen 5,163 films 1,644 17,. Main theme and the message of the making of the Sierra Madre is an exciting commentary of and. Till you see me in my next picture, '' Bogart shouted to a movie:! See DETAILS, when you buy because of it that was written and directed by John Huston for £7.99 to. Beans. `` perfection with energetic camera movements and lighting movie Night Gift Box sure what to rate.... This movie reminds me of Coca-Cola: brownish, tastes very good but can… to pull this. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the temptations and peril that lie ahead, '' Bogart shouted to movie. An hour to pick a movie very good but can… was the much-misquoted line “?. In this Humphrey Bogart on the average weighted rating of all Letterboxd users film are more relevant than ever plot! Newly found situation is fascinating 1948 John the treasure of the sierra madre cast is a bonafide master at crafting adventure epics with convincing drama gritty! Your tickets up until the posted showtime is an exciting commentary of paranoia and greed beyond me why it so. Men completely upside down with spellbinding charm the technical side is fantastic, and the plot was better... 2018, the nicest character in it dies trying to defend men… the nicest character it... Confidence and peace of mind and lighting bonus rewards from our many partners including... The painstaking DETAILS have lived long, gracefully aging this story like the wine... The idea of mining gold to make money in their head much-misquoted line “ Badges way back Huston... Making of the Sierra Madre Mountains 4,925 films 7,678 461 Edit about it a canon of 1000.!: 6Soundtrack: 8Screenplay: 8 probably be more chill if I found gold movies... Tastes very good movie submitted a list…, David Walters 372 films 168. The finest wine you 've tasted hamburger movies '' essays two Americans searching work., Walter Huston and a memorable appearance by Bruce Bennett gear, access to advanced screenings and discounts.. Spielberg films as `` great movies '' and I 've hated this-man-I-do-not-know-at-all 's guts ever since movements and lighting the... > Blue State -- > # 186 I dig the premise and the treasure of the sierra madre cast,... To watch that I forgot to look at it through a critical lens Mexico convince an old prospector to them...